Buddy, can you spare a...

 ...fly swatter?

Some boats have flies worse than mine.  I can stay ahead of them with my remaining fly swatter.  (Its brother was sacrificed to a too-enthusiastic effort a few weeks ago.)  Not all my fellow liveaboards have fly swatters, though, so I took it upon myself to rectify the situation.  With my naïveté firmly perched on my shoulder I walked from one end of town to the other looking for flyswatters.  I don't know what they're called here in Fiji, so I made swatting motions with my hand onto the countertop in most stores.  From the wide-eyed responses on the quickly retreating clerks I surmised that a different approach was needed.

So a few days later I took my existing flyswatter with me.  Walking into a store, I would just point at it and make a questioning gesture.  At least I didn't scare anybody.  I struck paydirt at J Dayram Enterprises, Ltd.  The girl there took me to their display - they must have had thirty of the buggers.  Cheap Chinese flyswatters, but any port in a storm, right?  I bought four and dropped one off on Nicolas' boat straightaway.  He made a trip all the down the creek the next day to thank me.  The beer he promised to buy me will pay for all the swatters.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taveuni tour

And back to Volivoli...

"Somebody has to do it."