Meet the Big-eye Trevally.  AKA, Dave's supper.  Ollie (of last night's bass fame) is taking off for NZ on Tuesday.  He had this fish in the fridge and couldn't use it.  Only a few days old.  He offered, I accepted.  Filleted just like a pike with the exception that the lateral line right before the tail turns into something the Goodyear company should be making tires from.  I literally couldn't cut it with the fillet knife; I had to get the big butcher knife from the galley and even then I was about to go get side cutters.  I kind of butchered the filleting job; some weird bones in this guy.  I made sure to cut away all the dark red flesh (blood?) and ended up with some decent pieces.



So how was it?  Pretty good.  Rolled in corn starch with salt and pepper, fried on the stove.  I only ate the smallest piece.  Still a little skittish about Fiji fish.  Ollie said they had hooked this one out in the ocean so it wasn't a reef fish.  He is well aware of ciguatera.  If Ellie doesn't get a Wordle text from me at the normal time tomorrow, it means I'm dead.

Oh, and Ollie and Heidi gave me their leftover kava for sevusevu.  Now if the freezer would just get here, the weather is perfect.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taveuni tour

And back to Volivoli...

"Somebody has to do it."