And back to Volivoli...

 Stardate October 14, 2023

A milk run until the last hour.  We had planned on stopping in Viti Levu Bay overnight.  We had made such good time that Nick suggested we push on to Volivoli point.  I think cold beer may have been the deciding factor.  I did point out that we would be passing up our last chance to do sevusevu and get rid of some kava.  Beer won out.

The passage between the island and the reefs is not as fraught as it looks on the chart.  Plenty of room, good visibility, and the wind had dropped considerably from the crossing.


Until here.  By now the wind had shifted to the east and was on the beam at about 35 knots.  The Navolau Passage is rather narrow and I had the main full up.  I wasn't worried about the narrow passage, but making that 90 degree turn to port did give me pause.  Especially in that wind.  I elected to keep the main up, thinking that I could use it further on (which was true).  

So I come up to the turn and pulled the wheel over.  I had the preventer on the port side (wind was from starboard) and the sail tried to go across.  I let the preventer go as slowly as I could and the sail swung across.  But now the boat was slewing around, the autopilot incapable of keeping up with the rapid motion.   I turned off the autopilot and helmed through the stretch until the next gradual turn to starboard, keeping a wary eye out for the reef on my right.  

Made the turn and of course the sail now snapped back to the port side.  More slewing around.  Managed to wrestle the boat down until the next turn to port.  Back to slewing around and helming until I could finally turn to starboard again (left side of pic).  Even then the autopilot had trouble keeping up.  Next time I go through this passage I'm dropping the main first.  Nick, of course, sailed through with all sails up.  


Made Volivoli expecting shelter from the wind.  Not.  It was so bad a 50-foot yacht requested to use one of the resort moorings because they didn't expect their anchor would hold.  (We talked to them at the bar.). Nick and I proceeded deep into the bay and anchored almost a mile from the resort.  After a brief respite, I dropped the dinghy and Nick and I motored down to the resort for beers and dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taveuni tour

"Somebody has to do it."