Pics. I get requests for pics. I'm stuck in Nawi waiting for my sails, the weather is crap, but here 'ya go. The island in the background is 'freehold' land, available for sale to foreigners. Pretty nice location for a second home, methinks.
Joe and Michelle left yesterday. This morning came the first crisis. The coffee was AWOL. I looked everywhere, tearing into lockers (found some interesting foodstuffs) even looking in the depths of the fridge thinking that the bag of coffee got somehow dumped in there by accident. There was nearly a mutiny on board, and since I”m the only one here it would have been epic. Left leg: You walk the plank. Right leg: No, YOU walk the plank. I had kind of wondered why that 1 kg plastic container of Tiffin Natural Greek Probiotic Yoghurt (Extra Thick and Creamy) was sitting on the counter instead of being in the fridge where it seemingly belonged. I had been moving it around looking for the bag of coffee. I finally opened it, and there was the coffee. Apparently Joe or Michelle had repurposed the yoghurt container for the coffee. Mutiny averted. Left leg...
May 5. Also Island Don’t know why it’s called Also Island. It was started by a guy named Jim Bandy back in 2000. It’s a ramshackle enterprise, with a big deck full of half-disassembled outboard motors and other machinery. Jim is a kind of legend in Fiji and I was excited to meet him. I walked up the stairs and met Veronica, who was taking care of the place while her mother was away. Turns out Jim died a year ago of prostate cancer. No one had updated the Fiji Compendium with this fact, so I couldn’t know. I’m starting to think I’m a jinx: First Morena dies two weeks before I visited at Naqaiqai, then I crash a funeral in Kioa, and now I find Jim Bandy has passed. I’m scared to get back to Somosomo - who the hell else has kicked the bucket? Village across from Also Is. Can't find the village on a map so I don't have a name. “This is my home,” the headman said, touching the wood floor of the porch. “This is now yo...
Comments
Post a Comment